Special Needs Assistant Programs
The Special Needs Assistance Programs is funded by grants. These grants specify income ceilings for participants and further require the participants be physically unable to clear their property, have no other person to assist in the clearance and cannot afford to hire a contractor to do the work.
The Fire Safe Council will provide defensible space clean-up for Nevada County Residents who:
• Are over 65 years old or
• Physically Disabled (verified by receiving disability, handicap placards for vehicles, etc.)
• Financially unable to hire a contractor and under the 2016 HUD Annual Income Guidelines:
o 1 person income: $25,550/yr = $2,129/month
o 2 person income: $29,200/yr = $2,433/month
• Physically unable to create and maintain their defensible space on their own.
The Fire Safe Council will:
• Reduce the fire danger from immediately around the home and driveway, to qualified residents.
• Grant an initial one day defensible space clean-up to residents to qualify. Thereafter, maintenance of defensible space is not guaranteed and only available when all others never receiving service have been assisted.
• Work along with the homeowner to determine the work that the workers will conduct.
Our workers will:
• Create defensible space clearance of fire danger from immediately around the home and driveways on the property.
• Trim trees and brush.
• Thin trees as needed.
• Remove blackberries.
• Conduct other hazardous fuel reduction as needed.
Funds for this program are provided by the Fire Safe Council of Nevada County, Allstate Foundation, and a CAL FIRE State Responsibility Area Fee Grant.
How Do I Get Scheduled for Special Needs Assistance Service?
• Contact the FSCNC office @ (530) 272-1122 and leave your name, address and phone number. Staff will mail you a "Seniors & Disabled Assistance Request" form.
• Download Special Needs Assistance Application
• Adobe Reader required to view and print .pdf form. Obtain it free from adobe.com
• Fill out the form and mail or fax it back to the FSCNC office.
Fire Safe Council of Nevada County
PO Box 1112
Grass Valley, CA 95945
Fax: (530) 272-3232
The Fire Safe Council office is located in the historic district of downtown Grass Valley in the Eagle Hose Fire Station. This historic building has access limitations. Please contact our staff to provide you services if you are disabled.