Wildfire is an ever-present danger in California. It can feel like the problem is too big to address on our own, but there is a way you can help. Join our team at Fire Safe Council of Nevada County and know that your work has meaning. We are a non-profit, volunteer run organization dedicated to making Nevada County safer from catastrophic wildfire through fire safety projects and public education. We collaborate with many other Agencies and non-profits so that together, we can all make a difference. We work daily in the mindset that our combined strength and effectiveness lies within those collaborations.
We are looking for energetic people to help us change the world with optimism and a passion for meeting the challenges of keeping a community fire safe in Northern California. We offer Full time positions with benefits and growth opportunities. Beyond that, we provide the additional benefit of working with other great people, from every background, to build a stronger and safer community. We know the unique experiences of all our employees drive our success and people do their best work when they feel like they can be themselves.
If you share these values, we want to meet you and learn how you might contribute to our team.Essential Functions
Helpful Experience and Knowledge
- Understand equipment capabilities to minimize damage to the unit.
- Conduct equipment preventative maintenance according to company guidelines daily
- Familiar with procedures to safely load/unload equipment to a trailer
- Must perform well with minimum supervision possibly at multiple locations
- Responsible for completing and submitting proper daily inspections and maintenance on assigned machine(s), requesting any necessary repairs/maintenance from the Fleet Department. Maintain the highest maintenance and safety standards.
- Perform basic daily preventative maintenance
- Perform repairs as breakdowns happen, within reason
- Complete other tasks as assigned
- Experience running heavy equipment on tracks – Bonus for tracked chippers
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance or certification
- Basic understanding of mechanical concepts in hydraulics, electrical belts and pulleys, P.T.O.’s, gasoline and diesel engines, and air-cooled and water-cooled engines.
- Quick and able learner with strong leadership skills and a keen eye for details and good decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Must pass pre-employment background check
- Must have a current valid Class B license as a minimum, but a Class A would be preferred
- Must be able to provide a copy of a clean driving record report from the DMV
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Ability to communicate clearly and create effective working relationships with employees, private landowners, state & government officials and contracting officer representatives, and the public
- Have the ability and desire to perform strenuous outdoor work on rough terrain in a variety of inclement weather conditions (e.g. rain, heat, cold) for 8 to 10 hours per day
- Ability to work under pressure and handle emergency situations calmly
- Ability to utilize safety procedures. Must have knowledge of safe working techniques and safety equipment and must be aware of the typical surface hazards in the workplace as well as underground hazards that maybe encountered such as utilities and infrastructure.
available after probationary period
- Simple IRA with matching
This position is contract rain or shine outdoors, 8 hours daily 2-3 days per week
Starting pay $27.00 - $37.00 DOE -
certifications and experience will be important
FSCNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace