The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will chip brush that is cleared from defensible space of any permanent structure, and/or 30’ from any roadside or driveway used for evacuation purposes.
To ensure we can provide service to all our applicants in a reasonable amount of time, our chipping service is limited to 4 hours per customer per application. During high volume periods in the Spring and Summer, wait times can reach 5-6 weeks. Your partnership is greatly appreciated in making Nevada County safer from wildfire!
To Use the Chipping Program:
1. Create your piles to be chipped.
2. Download the Chipping Application Form
3. After the Fire Safe Council of Nevada County receives your chipping application, they will add it to our list.
If you would like to learn how to receive priority chipping, please visit our membership page.
The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County is NOT able to chip:
- Piles of Leaves, Pine Needles, or Yard Clippings
- Poison Oak
- Decaying Wood
- All Varieties of Broom
- Commercial Properties, Timber Harvest Projects, or Vacant Lots
- Blackberries/Vines/Anything with Thorns
- Root Balls, Stumps, Dirt, or Twigs
Waste Management offers a “Green Waste Pick-Up” program to dispose of such materials. They can be contacted at (530) 274-3090.
- Chipping piles need to be stacked along a road or driveway frontages, which will allow the crew to work from the road or driveway.
- Piles must be placed within 5 feet of chipper access.
- Piles must be placed on level ground or on the uphill side of the road or driveway.
- Piles must be free of roots/stumps, rocks and mud, poison oak, scotch broom, and blackberries and other vines.
- Piles must be stacked with the cut ends facing the same direction, pointing towards access route to piles.
- Piles must not be higher than 4 feet.
- Material can be up to 8 inches in diameter, and needs to be at least 3 feet in length. The longer the better for the crew - easier to feed through the chipper.
- All materials chipped will be blown back onto the property, or put in a pile where the brush was stacked.
- The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will provide service on a first-come, first–served basis. We reserve the right to limit service to individual customers to no more than 4 hours per application.
- The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County cannot clean up commercial properties, timber harvest projects, vacant lots, or active pot grows.
2019 Chipping Form . Please provide your address.